Butter

I made butter!  Really?  Yeah, really!!
If anyone had asked me a year ago if I would (or could) make butter, all they’d have gotten from me would have been a blank look and a ‘huh?’.
But ever since I started researching about thermal cookers, and gotten my CP, I’ve seen many other owners making butter in their thermal cookers. I thought one day, I’ll try that out and see how I’d go. Well, yesterday I got 2 jars of 600mls thickened cream from Woolies at the bargain price of 50-cents each so I reckoned if my experiment went belly up, it would only cost me all of $1.  What have I got to loose?
Spreadable Butter & Pure Butter
And armed with some tips from a kind fellow CP user, I went about making butter with all fingers crossed, lol.

After five minutes of ‘churning’ in CP, I got about 600gms of butter! And a takeaway container worth of buttermilk. Yayy!!  I added salt and oil to half the butter to make spreadable butter. The other half will probably go into the freezer together with the buttermilk till needed for whatever.
 
Butter (made in the KitchenAid Cook Processor)
  • 1200 mls thickened cream (full cream) – cold
  • water
  • to make spreadable butter – salt and neutral oil
Method
  1. Insert EggWhip blade into CP.
  2. Add cold thickened cream.  Ensure measuring cup is in chute.
  3. Set speed slowly to 9 or 10 and whip for about 2 minutes till mixture is like whipped cream. Open cover and scrape side of bowl.
  4. Continue whipping at speed 9 for about 3 minutes or till mixture separates into butter and whey (buttermilk).
  5. Drain whey (buttermilk) into a container and set aside for cooking/baking.  Freeze if not using within 24 hours.
  6. Add 2 cups cold water to CP bowl and whip butter at speed 8 for 10 seconds.  Pour this water away.
  7. Repeat Step 6 once or twice.  The more you rinse, the longer the butter will keep.
  8. Press butter with spatula to remove as much water as possible.  Refrigerate and consume within 2 weeks. Or freeze butter.
  9. To turn this freshly made butter into spreadable butter, I added a teaspoon salt (or to your taste), and about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of rice bran oil and whipped for 20 seconds speed 8 till everything was combined. The amount of oil used will depend on how soft you like your spreadable butter. Strong flavoured oil like extra virgin olive oil is not recommended for this.
    Butter churned in CP, and buttermilk