Cauliflower, Sweet Potato & Quinoa Fritters

I love fried food. But I can count with less than one hand the number of times in a year that I make fried food at home. I just don't like the fried food cooking smell that seems to linger for hours after. So whenever we go out to eat, I will always try to get away with ordering a dish of fried something :).

I am also a huge fan of TV cooking shows. At the moment I am hooked on the latest season of the Australian "My Kitchen Rules (MKR)" series. Last week, one of the teams made a yummy looking fritter using cauliflower as the main ingredient. It got good reviews from the judges. Since then, fritter has been on my mind. So today, I decided make an exception and 'fry' fritters. I played around with that MKR recipe to use up the half head of cauliflower I have in the fridge. Walking around my kitchen, I also saw a few orange sweet potatoes. I know there's grated cheese in my freezer. My pantry has quinoa and heaps of spices, and a pack of nutritional yeast flakes! Hmmmm.... lol. You don't have to use the nutritional yeast flakes if you don't have them, I just added to use them up, but I don't think they contributed any additional flavour :).

Hence the idea of combining cauliflower, sweet potatoes and quinoa started to form. And flavouring with some of my favourite spices. But prepping everything in the one pot if possible so I don't end up with a heap of stuff for hubby to wash. So here's my Cauliflower, Sweet Potato & Quinoa Fritters prepped using my KitchenAid Cook Processor. This recipe makes quite a lot. When I had made enough for our dinner, I cooked the remaining mixture to a lighter brown so that I can heat them up tomorrow using my air fryer to crisp them. I served them with a corn and chilli relish.


Cauliflower, Sweet Potato & Quinoa Fritters
** prepared using the KitchenAid Cook Processor (CP)


Ingredients A
250g sweet potato (peeled, sliced ½ cm thin)
½ cup quinoa (washed, drained)
2 teaspoons salt
1.5 litres water
600g cauliflower (cut into florets)

Ingredients B
Large handful of parsley leaves
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
½ cup grated tasty/cheddar cheese
2 large eggs
1 cup self-raising flour
2 to 3 tablespoons milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Ingredient C
Enough neutral flavor vegetable oil for shallow-frying

METHOD

Remove any blade from main CP bowl.
  1. Put in sweet potato, quinoa, salt and water (except cauliflower). Launch program Boil P1, reduce time to 10 minutes, speed 0, measuring cup off.
  2. With 5 minutes left of the program, pause machine, add cauliflower. Press start to continue program.
  3. At the end of program, test that potatoes are cooked through. If not, continue cooking for another minute or two at 110C.
  4. Drain very well using a large sieve (NOT colander) to catch the cooked quinoa.
  5. Let mix cool in sieve so it continues to drain.
Without needing to wash the CP bowl, insert MultiBlade.
  1. Add Ingredients B into CP bowl. Then add in the cooked and cooled Ingredients A.
  2. Pulse 2-3 seconds, scrape sides of bowl, pulse another 2-3 seconds to obtain a coarsely chopped and thick mix.
  3. Remove MultiBlade, and scrape bowl with spatula to thoroughly mix all ingredients.
  4. Heat oil in pan, medium heat. Drop heaped tablespoons of mixture into oil, press lightly to flatten mix, and shallow fry one side till golden brown and crispy before flipping over to shallow fry the other side. Drain well on paper towel.
  5. Serve with your favourite dipping sauce.
Note:
Warm up any leftover fritters in an air fryer to get yummy crispy fritters on the outside, and soft on the inside.