Green Chicken Curry

Growing up in Malaysia, I was never exposed to Thai curries of any kind as Malaysia already has a great variety of curries due to its multicultural population. There are Malay curries, Indian curries, Chinese curries, Nyonya curries, Mamak curries and to top all that off, each of its 13 states would have their own versions of all those curries! So I had never heard of Thai Green Curry, or Red or Yellow or Panang Thai Curries until I moved to Australia. And having since tasted all the different coloured Thai curries, I must say their Green Curry is by far my favourite.

My hubby got a scratch recipe from a cook in his restaurant many years ago and I've adjusted and adapted it to be cooked in my KitchenAid Cook Processor. I prefer using thigh fillets for curries. I also use whatever hard veges I happen to have at the time like broccoli, beans, carrots, cabbage, eggplant. I know carrots are not in keeping with the 'green' theme, but they do add a vibrant colour to the dish. And this can be easily turned into a vegetarian curry by omitting the chicken and just using a mix of the veges I've listed, with some tofu puffs or firm tofu for the protein element.

Double the paste ingredients and freeze half the portion for another day - just extend cooking time by approximately 10 minutes or saute until oil starts to separate. I was a bit heavy handed with the oil this time, accidently poured more than needed (oops!) but look at the beautiful vibrant green of that curry - I've put pics side by side (one with flash, the other without) for comparison. I used all 10 green chillies as the batch I had from my garden happened to be not too spicy that day. For some strange reason, sometimes chillies from our garden can turn out feral spicy!
I've also reserved the top part of stalks and leaves of the bunch of coriander for other uses. I just wash and drain them very well, and keep in tupperware in the fridge - they will last for another 2 to 3 days that way. I use them for garnishing curries, steamed dishes, or just in omelettes (very yummy!).

Green Chicken Curry


Ingredients A (for paste)
3 spring onions, washed/cut into short lengths
roots & bottom stalks of 1 bunch coriander, washed (1 bunch had about 7 roots)
1 large onion, peeled/quartered
4 garlic cloves, peeled
1 inch knob of ginger, peeled/sliced
2 tablespoons dried prawns, soaked 10 minutes, drained
1 tablespoon minced frozen lemon grass (or 1 stalk fresh lemon grass, only white part, sliced thin)
6 to 10 large green chillies, stalk/seeds removed
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Ingredients B (for paste)
4 tablespoons neutral flavoured oil
2 kaffir lime leaves (roughly torn to release fragrance)

Ingredients C
1 kg skinless chicken thigh fillets, cut into bite sized pieces
1 or 2 carrots, peeled, thickly sliced

Ingredients D
1 cup coconut cream
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar (or to taste)
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
3 tofu puff squares, thick sliced
A large handful of suggested mix of veges, thickly sliced (if desired)

Method

Insert MultiBlade into CP main bowl.
  1. Add Ingredients A into bowl.
  2. Pulse in 5 seconds bursts, scrape sides of bowl, repeating till you obtain a fine paste.
Change to StirAssist Blade.
  1. Scrape sides of bowl.
  2. Add Ingredients B.
  3. Launch program Fry P1, increasing time to 20 minutes, speed 1, measuring cup off.
  4. Paste is ready when oil starts to separate. If doubling the paste recipe, remove half the portion of cooked paste and freeze for future use.
Cook the Curry.
  1. Add Ingredients C.
  2. Launch Program Fry P1, reduce time to 5 minutes, measuring cup off.
  3. Then add Ingredients D.
  4. Launch Program Stew P3, reduce speed to INT.  Pause program with a few minutes to go to adjust taste if needed.
  5. Garnish with coriander leaves, a lime wedge, and serve with steamed rice.
Note:
Green Curry can easily be made vegetarian by using just vegetables like brocolli, beans, tofu, etc.