I use whatever vegetable combo I happen to have on hand. Any veges that are not green/leafy will work best. I like using cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, eggplant, carrot, potato, or even zucchini. A combo of 2 to 3 different veges works well. Hubby loves his tofu, so I will always add tofu puffs, or if I have some, I'll use firm tofu as well.
Sometimes for a non-vegetarian version, I will also add sliced chicken breast, or prawns, or fish fillets.
Quick Curry1/4 cup to 1/2 cup cooked curry laksa paste
1 tablespoon oil
1 cup coconut cream
3/4 cup to 1 cup water
1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
3 to 4 cups preferred mix of veges (cut into bite size pieces)
salt to taste (if needed)
- In a pot over medium heat, add oil and curry laksa paste and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add coconut cream, water, chicken stock powder, soy sauce, sugar and veges that take the longest to cook (like eggplant, potato, carrot, cabbage). Bring to boil and when these are about 80% cooked, add other veges like broccoli, cauliflower.
- If using zucchini / tofu puffs / firm tofu / sliced chicken / prawns / fish, add these only when all veges are nearly cooked to your preferred softness. Let curry come back to the boil after adding any meat, and let it boil for a minute or two to ensure meat is cooked (but not overcooked), add salt if required, then turn fire off. Serve immediately with bread or steamed rice.
KitchenAid Cook Processor Method
- Insert StirAssist blade.
- Add oil and curry laksa paste. Manually set temperature to 110C, time 2 minutes, speed 1. Press start.
- Next add coconut cream, water, chicken stock powder, soy sauce, sugar and veges that take the longest to cook (like eggplant, potato, carrot, cabbage). Launch program Boil P1, reduce time to 18 minutes, speed to INT. Press start.
- After 10 minutes, press Pause Button on CP and check that the hard veges are about 80% cooked. If so, then add remaining veges like broccoli, cauliflower. Press start to continue Boil P1 program.
- After another 4 minutes, press Pause Button on CP, and add all the rest of ingredients (if using) like zucchini / tofu puffs / firm tofu / sliced chicken / prawns / fish. Press start to continue Boil P1 program to the end. Adjust taste and add a pinch of salt if needed.
- Serve with bread or steamed rice.
When cooking this curry in the CP, it is also the perfect dish for multilevel cooking.
From Step 3 onwards, simply remove the blade and lid, and use the CP external steaming basket to steam some buns, or couscous, or even just to warm up leftover rice to be served with this curry. Just give the ingredients in CP bowl a quick stir manually with spatula each time you add ingredients.