Pumpkin Soup

It is definitely soup weather in Melbourne now. Day temperatures have been hovering only around the 15C mark and I am half frozen :(.

Rich pumpkin soup served with freshly baked focaccia bread.
I have had a whole pumpkin in my kitchen staring at me for over a week, so decided yesterday to make pumpkin soup because so many people in cooking groups I'm in seemed to have been making that in the past few days.

I have been looking at some recipes and feedbacks on each, and had been thinking of picking out the good points from a few recipes and adapting them to cook in my KitchenAid Cook Processor (CP). So here's the recipe I've come up with, and the result was really yum. It made enough to fill my CP a little bit over its maximum liquid level - enough for both of us to have 2 helpings for dinner, and a reasonably large helping each leftover for lunch today.

The tablespoon of curry powder and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper I used added a great little zing to the soup. You can reduce the amount of curry powder if you don't like spicy :). I used Baba brand meat curry powder (that is a Malaysian blend of curry powder).

For vegetarian version, simply omit bacon and replace chicken stock powder with vegetarian stock powder.

I also decided at the last minute to try out the Focaccia recipe in the KitchenAid CP recipe website. I think it would have turned out even better if I had bread flour on hand. But since I didn't, I used plain flour and though the focaccia turned out nice, it would have been much better with bread flour as it would have given it a better 'chewy' bread texture. I topped it with a handful of chopped and saute'd onion, garlic, bacon, and sprinkled fragrant zaatar herb mix all over.

Pumpkin Soup

1 large onion (peeled, quartered)
4 garlic cloves (peeled)
4 rashers rindless bacon (roughly chopped into smaller pieces)
1/2 to 1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
2 tablespoons oil
Approximately 1kg peeled and deseeded pumpkin (roughly cut into 3-4cms chunks)
Approximately 300gm peeled potatoes (roughly cut into 3-4cms chunks)
1 tablespoon chicken stock powder/granules
700mls water
250mls milk
salt to taste

      Insert MultiBlade into CP bowl
  1. Add onion, garlic, bacon into CP bowl. Pulse 3 seconds, scrape bowl, pulse another 3 seconds.
  2. Add curry powder, turmeric powder, ground white pepper and oil. Launch Program Fry P1, increase speed to 1. Measuring cup off for this step. At the end of program, press cancel to end 'keep warm' feature.
  3. Add pumpkin, potatoes, chicken stock powder and water. Measuring cup on loosely so that steam can still escape. Launch Program Boil P2, pressing the Start button after Step 1 to continue the program. At the end of program, press cancel to end 'keep warm' feature.
  4. Open CP lid, taste and add salt to taste if required.
  5. Add milk to soup.
  6. Close CP lid, remove measuring cup. Turn speed to 1 and over the next two minutes, very slowly and gradually increase speed and let soup puree at speed 9 or 10 for approximately 1 minute.
  7. Serve hot.