Peanut Sesame Cookies

These cookies are adapted from what are traditionally Peanut Cookies my family used to make as part of Chinese New Year preparations in Malaysia. My mum, sister and I would spend hours making these bite-sized cookies in a old fashioned tiny round oven that could only cook a small tray of about 2 dozens cookies at a time. They would then be packed into small containers to be used as gifts to relatives that we would visit during Chinese New Year.

I have not made them for years but hubby recently asked if I still remember how to make them as they are some of his favourite cookies from childhood. Yes, I said, I've made thousands of them when I was young and if he was willing to help with the rolling part, I'll make the dough for him. Majority of the work involved for these yummy morsels lies in the dry roasting of the peanuts and the rolling/shaping into small bite-sized little balls. The oven part is no longer an issue as our full sized oven can fit 3 large trays at once.

I have adapted the recipe to have sesame seeds added (just because I have plenty of them at the moment). I also use rice bran oil instead of lard which was traditionally used in the 'old' days. And because they are for hubby who is diabetic, I substituted icing sugar with minimum amount of xylitol (sugar substitute) just to give the cookies enough sweetness for our taste. I have also simply blend and mix the dough in my KitchenAid Cook Processor (KACP). Any food processor can be used as well.

Peanut Sesame Cookies

200 gm plain flour
120 gm icing sugar
¼ tsp salt
200 gm dry roasted peanuts
15 gm dry roasted sesame seeds
100 to 110 ml peanut or vegetable oil
1 egg yolk (beaten with 1 teaspoon water)
  1. Preheat oven to 180°C (conventional) or 165°C (fanforced).
     
  2. Insert MultiBlade into main KACP bowl.
     
  3. Put peanuts, sesame seeds, salt and icing sugar into KACP bowl, close lid with measuring cup in, and pulse a few times to obtain a medium fine grind from the peanuts. Add 100ml oil and flour. Mix at speed 3 till all ingredients are more or less combined (approximately a minute), adding a little more oil only if mix seems too dry. Remove mix into a large bowl and knead a bit by hand to ensure all ingredients are evenly combined and you get a dough that holds together.
     
  4. Roll teaspoons of dough into small balls (we used a melon scooper to portion the dough). Put onto baking tray lined with baking paper and slightly flatten the ball with your fingertip (you can put them rather close together as there is no rising agent in recipe to make them expand much). Brush top with egg yolk. Bake 15-20 minutes or until cookies are golden brown. Cool completely and store in airtight container.
     
  5. This recipe yields about 90 little balls/cookies.