Custard

I have read a lot about how tricky it can be to make custard successfully over the stove, hence have never tried making custard in the 'traditional' stove top way before I bought my KitchenAid Cook Processor (KACP). Now I am amazed at how easy it is using my KACP!

Custard in KACP
I also dislike recipes that uses part of the egg - and a lot of custard recipes only use the yolk! So a few months ago when I saw a recipe that used whole eggs but was written for the thermomix machine, I adapted it to my KACP successfully. And yesterday, I adapted it some more and got the yummiest custard so far, so I'm sharing this version here. I used corn flour, so the finished colour is much paler than if I had used custard powder which I believe contains yellow colouring that we don't need to consume :)

It is beautiful served hot/warm with a piece of cake and berries. It sets quite thick and I think should be ok to be used for custard scrolls or buns but have yet to try that as yesterday's batch is pretty much gone lol. That will be on my future 'to do' list.

Custard sets thick

Whole Egg Custard (made in KACP)

200 gm thickened cream
300 gm milk
2 eggs
4 tablespoons sugar (double sugar amount if you like your custard sweet)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
50 gm corn flour (mixed with extra 1/3 cup milk)
  1. Insert Whisk blade into KACP main bowl.
  2. Add cream, milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla extract to bowl.
  3. Close lid, remove measuring cup. Set temperature at 95C, Speed 2, Time 10 minutes, and press Start.
  4. With machine running, slowly pour in the corn flour and milk mixture thru the measuring cup hole.
  5. At the end of cooking time, immediately set Speed 2, Time 2 minutes and start machine again to run (without any heat) while machine cools.
  6. Remove from KACP bowl immediately and put a piece of clingwrap directly on top of custard to prevent a 'skin' forming while it cools/sets.
Note:
I used a newly opened pack of UHT full cream milk that was at room temperature, and cream/eggs straight from the fridge. Hence my cooking duration of 10 minutes was just right. If using cold milk straight from the fridge, you might need to increase cooking time to 11 or 12 minutes.