Okonomiyaki

Okonomiyaki for lunch in Kyoto, Japan (November 2016)
My family is holidaying in Japan and they posted pictures of their lunch yesterday of Okonomiyaki and Yakisoba. As these dishes have been on my to do list for ages, it was a timely reminder to try making them.

And by chance, I have also been meaning to try out my new toy, the food processor accessory for my KitchenAid Cook Processor (KACP). So it was time to play - instead of chopping/slicing manually, I used my KACP to help with that manual task.

And this is my homemade Okonomiyaki
I also looked at a few Okonomiyaki recipes, watched a few on Youtube and took bits of ingredients and methods from here and there and adjusted them to suit what is available to me. Apart from buying a cabbage, I didn't specifically go ingredient shopping for these dishes. Hence I also had to make the Okonomiyaki sauce from scratch, and I didn't have bonito flakes to garnish.

I loosely followed a recipe where the egg whites were separately whipped to obtain a lighter, more fluffy pancake and I must say it produced as promised. However, most recipes merely mix the eggs into the batter, so you can do that too to make it easier. I wanted to play with the whisk in my new toy, so I did the whipped egg white step.

Here's my adapted Okonomiyaki recipe. I'll share how I cooked the Yakisoba in another post.

Crispy bacon topped Okonomiyaki,
before I added the sauce

Okonomiyaki

90 gm plain flour
10 gm tapioca flour
100 ml water
3 eggs - separated
300 gm cabbage - sliced thin
1 stalk sping onion - sliced thin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
10 fresh peeled green prawns (roughly chopped)
1 tablespoon neutral flavour vegetable oil
3 long rashers rindless bacon - cut rashers into halves

Method:
  1. Whip egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peak stage.
  2. In another large bowl, mix plain flour, tapioca flour, water, egg yolks, salt, white pepper, stock powder, into a thick batter.
  3. Mix in cabbage, spring onions, prawns.
  4. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
  5. Lightly fold in the whipped egg whites into pancake batter until just barely mixed thru.
  6. Add oil to heated pan.
  7. Add half the pancake mix to pan in a round shape approximately the diameter of a saucer, building it up to about 2cms thick. Do not flatten the pancake, you want a very thick pancake. Cook uncovered for about 4 minutes.
  8. Arrange 3 bacon slices on top of pancake. Using a large flat spatula, flip pancake. Cover pan and cook for about 4-5 minutes.
  9. Flip pancake again and cook uncovered for 3 minutes.
  10. Place pancake onto serving plate. Spread a generous amount of Okonomiyaki sauce on pancake, drizzle with mayo (preferably Japanese mayo, if available), and sprinkle with dried seaweed (aonori) and bonito flakes. Serve immediately.

Okonomiyaki Sauce (homemade)

(enough for 2 pancakes, and one recipe of Yakisoba)

3 tablespoons worchestershire sauce
3 tablespoons tomato sauce (ketchup)
1 tablespoon barbeque sauce
1 tablespoon rice malt syrup (or honey or maple syrup)
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Mix all ingredients together.