Yakisoba

My version of Yakisoba
It is Japanese for dinner tonight. Since this Yakisoba recipe pretty much uses some of the same ingredients as the Okonomiyaki that I made tonight, I thought I might as well make this noodle dish so we can have it for lunch tomorrow.

Yakisoba my sister had for lunch yesterday in Kyoto, Japan.
A lot of restaurants, I believe, cook this dish on a hotplate ala Teppanyaki style.
Yakisoba, as far as I can tell, is simply stir fried noodles, not that dis-similar to the (Chinese/Malaysian) style of stir fried noodles I normally make, except that I used the homemade Okonomiyaki sauce in this and I must say it was pretty yum.

I adapted my recipe from looking at some recipes online and on Youtube. It can easily be made suitable for a vegetarian by omitting the meat.

Yakisoba

500 gms fresh Chow Mein noodles
1 tablespoon sesame oil
------
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion - thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic - finely chopped
------
1 chicken breast or thigh fillet - sliced thin, marinate with 1 tablespoon mirin (or sherry), 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon corn/potato/tapioca flour
Veges, shredded with the help of my
new toy, the food processor attachment
for my KitchenAid Cook Processor
------
1/4 cabbage - sliced/shredded
2 carrots - julienned/shredded
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
------
2 stalks spring onions - thinly sliced
5 tablespoons Okonomiyaki sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sriracha chilli sauce (optional)

Method:
  1. Heat a non-stick wok over medium heat. 
  2. Loosen noodles and put into wok in a flat pancake and dry fry for about 3-4 minutes. 
  3. Drizzle sesame oil over noodles, using spatula and a pair of chopsticks/tongs, toss noodles to coat with sesame oil, then leave to fry for another couple of minutes. Remove from wok and set aside.
  4. Heat vege oil in wok, and saute garlic till light brown.  Add onions and saute for a minute. 
  5. Turn heat to high. Add chicken, saute till meat is barely cooked, then add cabbage, carrots, ground white pepper, and stir fry till veges are just starting to wilt.
  6. Add noodles, toss everything together for a couple of minutes. Then add all the sauces and spring onions, and continue to stirfry and toss to mix thoroughly for a few minutes. Taste, and add a bit of soy sauce or salt to taste if needed.
    **Note: at this stage, if you feel noodles are too dry, sprinkle a couple tablespoons of water into it and continue tossing till evenly mixed.
  7. Garnish with a sprinkle of crushed toasted sesame seeds. Serve hot.