Beetroot Chocolate Brownie

Happy New Year 2017.

My last bake for 2016 is a Beetroot Chocolate Brownie. An unlikely combo of ingredients but hopefully somewhat 'healthier' with the goodness of beetroot and the 'antioxidant' qualities of dark chocolate 😄😄.

I very seldom bake with chocolate as hubby does not like chocolate anything and I don't want to end up eating the whole lot. But I had beetroot in the fridge, and I really wanted to use it in a dessert. All recipes of beetroot/chocolate  brownies/cakes I've seen seem to use a truckload of sugar. Since I'm not into overly sweet stuff, I decided to see if I could adapt and create a brownie that is more suitable for my taste. This is what I came up with and it is really good 😋. I have used the bare minimum amount of sugar in this recipe, adding some dates for natural sweetness.



You can always add more sugar to suit your personal sweetness preference but for me, the measurements I've provided gave me a fragrant, yummy, rich, chocolatey brownie without the usual sickly sweet taste I've always associated with brownies. And surprisingly, hubby actually asked for another piece after tasting some offcuts! There is still a chance yet that I may be able to educate him to 'like' chocolate....

I also created this recipe to be prepared using my KitchenAid Cook Processor (KACP). If you do not have a thermal cooker, you can simply use a normal food processor (or even just a manual grater to grate the beetroot and chop the dates using a knife or just cut them into small pieces with a pair of scissors). And do the heating part the traditional way by using a small saucepan over the stove on medium-low heat.

Beetroot Chocolate Brownie

200g beetroot, peeled & quartered
60g dried pitted dates
200g dark chocolate
175g butter
50g brown sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
80g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
35g unsweetened cocoa powder
100g pecans or walnuts
  1. Preheat oven 160C (fan-forced) or 175C (conventional).
  2. Insert Multiblade into KACP main bowl.
  3. Add pecans, pulse 3 seconds to roughly chop them. Remove and set aside.
  4. Put beetroot and dates into CP bowl. Pulse for about 15 seconds to obtain a reasonably fine result. Add chocolate pieces and pulse 3 seconds.
  5. Remove Multiblade and replace with StirAssist blade.
  6. Add butter and sugar. Set temperature to 80C, 5 minutes, speed 1 and press Start.
  7. Meanwhile, lightly grease and line a slice pan (18x28 cm) with baking paper, allowing the sides to overhang (this will help you remove the brownie from the pan later).
  8. At the end of cooking time, add all remaining ingredients, and mix using speed 4 until everything is well combined (approximately 20 seconds). Pour mix into lined tin and bake for 30 minutes till center is just firm.
  9. Cool in tin, cut into squares, dust with icing sugar and serve.