How to Cook Rice in the KitchenAid Cook Processor

Being a member of a KitchenAid Cook Processor (KACP) group in Facebook, I saw many questions on whether it was possible to properly cook rice in their machines. A recipe KitchenAid originally published mostly didn't work as the rice ended up too wet and gluggy.

So I decided to help out and test how my KACP can cook rice using the absorption method as that is my preferred method to cook rice. The great thing about the KACP is that it works without any blade. So I thought I'd just treat the KACP like a rice cooker.

You are not going to like me very much when you see how I measure rice/water ratio but that is the way I have always done it and it has never failed me.

However, you must also know that certain types of rice need slightly different ratios. For example, as a general rule, jasmine/white rice cannot have too much water so the ratio I have in the graphic here will work. I only use Basmati rice at home and this type needs slightly more water than normal, same goes for brown rice.

And the most important thing in my book is that whatever type of rice you use, you MUST wash the rice, non-negotiable.

Here are instructions to cook 2 cups of raw long or short grain white rice.

  1. Wash and rinse 2 cups of long grain or short grain rice at least three times till water runs almost clear.
  2. Put washed rice and enough water (see rice/water ratio instructions above) into KACP main bowl (no blade) and measuring cup loosely in for some steam to escape.
  3. Set temperature at 85C, time at 20 minutes, and press Start.
  4. After the cook duration, DO NOT open the lid. Just leave it alone for a minimum of 10 minutes, then you can open lid and fluff the rice with a fork or a pair of chopsticks. The resting time allows rice to complete cooking and actually prevents rice from sticking to the pot, and applies even if one is cooking in a rice cooker.
  
NOTES:

  • Did you know that using a 50:50 combination of long grain and short grain white rice produces great and delicious textured cooked rice. This is a secret some restaurants use ;)
  • For a multi-layer cooking option, you can steam some vegetables while the rice cooks by using the internal steaming basket only as you must have the lid on to cook rice properly.
  • I do not recommend steaming meat as the temperature and duration of this may not be enough to properly cook meat.