Potato & Leek Soup, with Garlic Brioche

OMG, Melbourne has been absolutely freezing this week, and we are just into the beginning of winter. Come on summer, can't wait for you to return!!

We got two lovely bunches of leek on Sunday and since there is too much for just one dish, I decided to split them into two dishes - the green parts to make soup, and the white parts for a stir fry later this week. So my potato and leek soup is not the traditional pale colour but it is nonetheless very yummy, with a more intense leek flavour than normal which I actually like lol.

I had only made Western style soup once in my life and I swore I would not make such soup again cos my kitchen resembled a war zone when I finished. Pots, bowls, blender, etc etc. So messy, and so much washing lol. But now using my KitchenAid Cook Processor (KACP), soup is one of the easiest things to make in this machine. Everything done in the single pot.

I didn't really follow any recipe proportions, just went with whatever I had. So here's what I did.

Potato and Leek Soup

5 medium potatoes (peeled, washed, and cut into rough chunks)
Green part of 6 medium leeks (halved lengthwise, washed thoroughly and cut into rough chunks)
1 large brown onion (optional) (peeled and quartered)
1 to 2 tablespoons chicken or vegetable stock powder
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
3 tablespoons oil
3 cups water
1 cup milk
salt to taste

  1. Insert MultiBlade into KACP main bowl. Add onion and leeks. Pulse a couple of times to roughly chop. Scrape bowl.
  2. Add oil. Select Program Fry P1, measuring cup out, press Start.
  3. At the end of program, add chicken stock, ground pepper and water. Select Program Boil P1, measuring cup in, press Start.
  4. At the end of program, take out measuring cup and loosely place it slanting across the hole in the lid. Then very slowly over the space of approximately 30 seconds, increase the speed from 0 to 10 to puree the soup. I ran machine at speed 10 for about one minute.
  5. Then add milk, and if required, more water to get the soup consistency you desire. Adjust taste with salt if required.
  6. Replace measuring cup, set Temp at 110C (no speed) to bring soup back to boil. Serve hot with garlic brioche/bread.

Garlic Brioche

5 garlic cloves (peeled and minced)
2 tablespoons softened butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
large pinch of salt
1 loaf Brioche (I used Aldi's French Classic Brioche loaf)

  1. Preheat oven to 180C.
  2. Mix all ingredients except brioche. Spread garlic butter onto brioche slices.
  3. Toast brioche in oven till lightly golden brown and serve with soup.
  4. I toasted brioche using my air fryer.