But whole chicken was on special this week in Coles at $2.90/kg and we had an unopened bottle of Costco wing and rib marinade sauce in the pantry, so hubby said why not do a roast chicken in the air fryer, and he can use any leftover to make sandwiches for lunch. Oh well, ok.
Here's what I did...
1 whole chicken (approximately 2.2kg)
1/2 cup Yoshida Spicy Wing & Rib Sauce
1-2 tablespoon oil
- Wash and butterfly the chicken by removing the back bone. Pat dry, and put chicken into a large freezer bag.
- Pour marinade sauce over chicken and massage to cover the whole chicken with sauce.
- Secure bag, place in a large bowl, and leave in fridge overnight.
- To cook, place chicken skin side up in air fryer basket (keep aside any excess marinade sauce). Drizzle some oil over chicken and cook at 160C in the air fryer (rough cooking time is about 20 minutes per kilogram of chicken).
- I flipped chicken after the first 20 minutes, drizzled some leftover marinade on it, and cooked for another 20 minutes
- Then flipped it back, drizzled remainder marinade on it, and continued to cook until it was done. Watch it though, cos the sugar content in this marinade sauce can cause it to brown quicker than you'd expect - cover with foil if it browns too much. Overall my chicken took nearly 55 minutes for me to be happy that it was fully cooked.
- I served this with a simple potato salad.