Vegetarian Mock Duck Stir Fry

Vegetarian Mock Duck Stir Fry
I love gluten 'meat' that Chinese Buddhists use to cook their varied vegetarian dishes. I have never tried making gluten myself, but I understand it is quite labour intensive to make, and it takes a lot of high protein wheat flour to make just a little chunk of gluten meat, hence the price of it is usually rather expensive.

I first learnt about this canned Mock Duck product years ago from my university classmate who, surprisingly, is a Sikh girl from Singapore. I didn't even know that non-Chinese/Buddhist people used gluten 'meat' in their dishes. One day, I was at her apartment helping her prepare lunch and she showed me how her grandma made a quick and simple stir fry with a little can of vegetarian gluten 'meat' and an onion as main ingredients, then flavoured with a bit of chilli sauce and soy sauce. Since then, I have often cooked this dish, changing and adapting ingredients, to evolve it to what is now one of our favourite 'fall back' dishes when I don't have much time to cook, or not much fresh vegetables in the fridge to cook with. But just like baked beans, I always have a couple of cans of mock duck in my pantry, and onions/garlic in the drawer.

The brand for this gluten 'meat' is Wu Chung, produced in Taiwan. I have not seen other brands of similar vegetarian mock duck. A 280gm sized can usually costs anything between A$1.60 to A$2.90 depending on where you buy it from.

This brand also has a few other flavours of vegetarian gluten 'meats'. I have tried using their Mock Chicken 'meat' too to make this dish. They are interchangeable if you can't find the Mock Duck, but I still prefer to use their Mock Duck :).

I also sometimes replace the sambal oelek/chilli garlic/siracha sauce with curry and turmeric powders just for a little taste variation. Can't help it, it is the Malaysian in me lol. Both variations are yummy!

By the way, the only Sambal Oelek, Chilli Garlic, and Siracha sauces I use is the Huy Fong brand from the USA - http://www.huyfong.com/ - they are the best chilli/dipping sauces on the market. My suggestion is don't bother with any other brand!! They are widely available in major supermarkets, although they are usually quite a bit cheaper from Asian grocers.

Vegetarian Mock Duck Stir Fry

1 can 280gm mock duck (drained, sliced thinly)
1 large onion (peeled, sliced thinly)
2 cloves garlic (peeled, minced)
3 tablespoons neutral flavoured oil (do not use olive oil)
2 teaspoons oyster sauce
2 teaspoons light soy sauce
1 teaspoon thick soy sauce (cooking caramel)
1 teaspoon garlic chilli or sambal oelek sauce **(see notes to vary this ingredient)
1/4 cup water

  1. Heat oil in wok or pan, and saute onions and garlic over medium high heat till onions start to slightly brown. 
  2. Add garlic chilli sauce**, saute another 30 seconds.
  3. Add sliced mock duck, light soy sauce, and thick soy sauce. Saute for a minute, then add water and let simmer a bit till sauce dries up and thickens. Dish up, garnish with chopped spring onions and coriander if desired. 
  4. Serve with steamed rice.


**Notes:

For another yummy taste variation, substitute the chilli sauce with following :-

  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder